A Home Occupation is any occupation, trade, profession, or craft carried on by the occupant of a home that is secondary to the residential use of the building. Many people assume that their home occupation does not need a license, however according to the City of Camrose Bylaw, any activity run from a residence that generates income requires a license. Even if you sell crafts or provide professional services on a casual or hobby basis, you should obtain a license to operate.
Fill out the Home Occupation Application
and the Home Occupation Authorization Form
Please view our Brochure
Requirements for a License
The City of Camrose Land Use Bylaw 2567/07 excerpt 7.23
gives a detailed list of the conditions for a home occupation.
Benefits of a Business License
Reasons for City Regulations
- Free advertising – the City makes a list of businesses in Camrose to give out in its information packages.
- You need a business license to apply for membership in the Better Business Bureau or the Camrose Chamber of Commerce.
- Many suppliers give discounts to businesses if provided with a copy of a business license.
- It is illegal to operate without one.
- You are joining a community of home-based businesses.
- To track the economic development of the City
- By nature, home occupations are difficult to monitor because of their low visibility. Licensing assists in tracking businesses, and ensuring they comply with municipal regulations.
- We all want our neighborhoods to look like a residential community not a commercial district. Licensing allows the City to implement rules that protect the residential character while allowing opportunities for business development.