Accessory Buildings

The Land Use Bylaw regulates the size, height, setbacks, and maximum site coverage for accessory buildings, including detached garages, carports, and sheds.

A development permit and a building permit are required for accessory buildings with an area greater than 10m². Permits can be applied for with Planning & Development Services, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall. When applying for permits please provide:

Accessory buildings with an area less than 10m² that adhere to the Land Use Bylaw do not require a development permit. However, all accessory buildings are to be no less than 1.0m from property lines and no less than 2.0m from other structures on the property.

Compliance Certificates

The Development Authority issues a letter of compliance to existing buildings or structures when the development complies with the Land Use Bylaw. View the Compliance Certificate application.

View the fees for a compliance certificate.

Real Property Report

We require a Real Property Report (RPR) from an Alberta Land Surveyor. If the RPR is greater than 1 year old, you must include a verified Statutory Declaration from the registered owner.

The Development Authority will notify you if the subject property does not comply with the Bylaw and the steps necessary to ensure compliance.

Deck Permits

You require a deck permit if you are building an uncovered deck more than 0.60m above the ground.

What is required for an uncovered deck permit?

  • Uncovered Deck Permit application
  • 2 copies of the site plan showing the proposed location of the deck. Distance from side and rear property lines, existing structures, easements and utility right-of-ways must also be included in the drawing
  • Drawings showing the dimensions of deck including length, width and height
  • All required application fees


You must build a deck within your property and with the required setbacks set out in the Land Use Bylaw. You cannot build a deck over an easement, utility right-of-way, or gas meter and/or gas shut off.

Design Standards

 Design Standards are available on request from our Engineering Department at 780.672.4428 or

Development Permits

The City of Camrose regulates the setbacks from property lines, height of buildings, site coverage, landscaping and property uses. The regulations for your property depend on your property zoning. Please see our Land Use Bylaw for more information.

Single family/duplex/secondary suite package

See our single family development application package for any of the following:

  • single family dwelling
  • duplex
  • secondary suites
  • addition (including covered deck)

View our fees and charges page for the development permit fees.

Commercial/industrial/institutional/multi-family dwelling package

See our commercial and multi-family development application package for any of the following:

  • Commercial
  • Industrial
  • Institutional
  • Multi-family dwelling (triplex, fourplex, apartment)

View our fees and charges page for the development permit fees.

Fence Permits

A fence permit is required if you are:

  • building a new fence on a property
  • replacing an old or current fence on an existing property

What is required for a fence permit?


The Land Use Bylaw regulates materials your fence is made out of, maximum height of your fence, and sight triangles. A residential fence can be as high as 1.0m in the front yard, and 1.8m in the rear yard. Fences must be fully contained on your own property and cannot encroach onto City property. View more details in the Land Use Bylaw (24MB).

Corner lots and required sight triangles

When building a fence on a corner lot, it is important to be aware of the sight triangle requirements. Sight triangles are required to ensure that sufficient sight lines are maintained to provide visibility for pedestrian and vehicle safety.

Recent Approvals

Subscribe to this page to stay updated on recently approved permits and subdivisions.

Development Permit Approvals

Permit Number

Civic Address

Legal Address

Type of Development

Approval Date


7003-49A Avenue

Lot 22, Block 2, Plan 0929038

Single Detached Dwelling

July 29, 2019


5019-53 Street

Lot 20, Block 10, Plan M28A

Change of Use

 July 25, 2019


4618-45 Street

Lot T, Block 10, Plan 5872HW


 July 25, 2019


4414-74 Street

Lot 34, Block 9, Plan 0827968

Single Detached Dwelling with Variance

 July 24, 2019


4423-75 Street

Lot 12, Block 9, Plan 0828011

Single Detached Dwelling with Variance

July 24, 2019


5717-39 Avenue

Lot 14, Block 3, Plan 8120690


 July 23, 2019


4812-55 Avenue

Lot 29, Block 1, Plan 8021983


July 23, 2019  


4601-46 Avenue

Lot 9, Block 21, Plan 8324AA

Home Occupation

July 17, 2019 


3901-50 Street

Lot 1, Block 1, Plan 1921668


 July 17, 2019


3210-67 Street

Lot 4, Block 30, Plan 0223972

 Home Occupation

 July 11, 2019


6207-26 Avenue

Lot 9, Block 13, Plan 1524338

 Single Detached Dwelling

July 10, 2019


4424-74 Street

Lot 29, Block 9, Plan 0827968 

 Single Detached Dwelling

July 9, 2019 


6006-48 Avenue

Lot 3, Block 1, Plan 0888823691

 Change of Use

July 8, 2019 


4250 Exhibition Drive

Lot 29B, Block 7, Plan 0524335

 Tent Structure

 July 5, 2019


5028-50 Street  

Lot 18, Block 2, Plan RN28

 Change of Use

 July 3, 2019


4519-73A Street

Lot 10, Block 1, Plan 0625800

 Roof Addition

 July 2, 2019


 5019-53 Street

Lot 20, Block 10, Plan RN28A

 Variance (Parking)

 July 2, 2019


#160,6800-48 Avenue

Lot 5, Block 2, Plan 0020623

 Change of Use

July 2,2019 

The Development Authority has 20 days after application receipt to determine if an application is complete. If no decision is made within 20 days or within an agreed time period, the application is deemed complete.

A Notice of Decision must be made within 40 days of the deemed completion date.

Appeals: The time period for appealing a decision is 21 days from the decision date. The appeal period for persons who are affected by a development permit is 21 days after the notice date of the permit.

Subdivision Approvals

There are no recent subdivision approvals at this time.                                                                                                       



The time period for appealing a decision on a development application is 21 days from the date the decision is made. 

The appeal period for persons who are affected by a development permit is 21 days after the date on which the notice of the issuance of the permit was given.


An Appeal on a subdivision application must be filed within fourteen (14) days of the date of receipt. The date of receipt is seven (7) days from the date the decision was mailed.

Redistricting (Rezoning) Applications

If you want to redistrict a property, we need to review the Land Use Bylaw amendment with Council for approval. The Land Use Bylaw regulates development in the City of Camrose. It determines how you can use land within districts.

What is required for a Redistricting Application?

Redistricting Process

  1. Pre-redistricting meeting (if necessary)
  2. Submission of application
  3. First reading of bylaw by Council
  4. Circulation to referral companies and adjacent owners
  5. Public open house (if required)
  6. Second reading, public hearing by Council
  7. Third reading by Council

If you are curious about the zoning of a property, view our Land Use Map.

Sign Permits

A sign permit is required if you are:

  • placing a new sign on a building or property
  • replacing an old or current sign on an existing building
  • changing the size of an existing sign


What is required for a sign permit?


A subdivision is the division of a parcel of land into two or more lots. Each lot is given a separate title. A subdivision is also used for a lot line adjustment on an existing property.

Meet with us first

It is important to meet with Planning and Development to discuss your proposed development to ensure that it corresponds with current area structure plans and minimum subdivision requirements set out in our Land Use Bylaw.

What is required for a Subdivision Application?

See our subdivision checklist outlining what you need to provide with your application. View our subdivision fees for cost of application, mailouts, advertising and endorsement.

Subdivision Application Process

  1. Pre-subdivision meeting
  2. Subdivision Application
  3. Circulation to referral companies and adjacent owners
  4. Subdivision authority meeting
  5. Decision
  6. Endorsement
  7. Registration


The Municipal Government Act – Section 653 regulates subdivisions. Subdivision applications are reviewed by the Subdivision Approving Authority which consists of three members of the City of Camrose staff. The Director of Subdivision Authority is the Director of Planning and Development and other members include the City Manager and the City Engineer, or any of their delegates.

Phone icon

Contact Us